Special Baggage - Rules
If you are bringing any of the below listed items on your flight, please read the related rules and restrictions.
You can carry one or two packages of ski equipment and they cannot exceed 23kg in total. A set of ski equipment can include the following elements:
- Skibag with skis, ski poles or snowboard
- One pair of ski boots/boots or snowboard boots and
We offer special plastic bags intended to protect the skis from dirt and moisture. These plastic bags can be purchased at the airport for NOK 50.
For Flex and Full Flex travelers these bags are free of charge.
Bicycles are allowed on Widerøes flights, but need to be packed in protective packing or hard case/box suitable for transport of bicycles. If you do not have this protective hard case/box please make the following preparations when sending a bicycle:
- The pedals needs to be removed and taped to frame(or fixed inwards)
- Handelbars must be fixed sideways (turned horizontally with the frame)
- Front weel needs to be disassembled and taped to handlebars
- Lower the seat
- Parts that may damage other cargo needs to be covered(minimum chain and hub)
- We recommend deflating the tyres to reduce risk of damage
NOTE! If the bicycle is not packed accordingly to the rules above, the bicycle will only be accepted on standby basis.
Electric Bicycles and Segways
It is not allowed to transport electric Bicycles and Segways on Widerøe flights due to restrictions regarding the battery type used on such bikes.
One set of golfing equipment consist of one golf bag including 14 clubs, 12 golf balls, 1 umbrella and one pair of golf shoes.
All fishing rods must be sent as checked baggage due to security. The fishing rods must be sent in a cordual (hard case).
Accepted angeling equipment are; one bait box, angler bag or basket and the number of rods that fit in a box/tube (cordural tube).
Payment is calculated per tube/bag according to size and/or weight.
Fish and seafood normally contain salt which, if leakage occurs, can cause damage on other baggage and serious corrosion damage to the aircraft:
- These shipments shall therefore be packed in combination packing, for example with an inner and an outer packaging with absorbent material
Widerøe define combination package as:
- Inner layer of polystyrene or styrofoam, and
- Outer layer of strong cardboard with plastic coating or a plastic crate
- For example: AIRENA 6450/20kg or plastic foliated styrofoam boxes 7839/20kg
The following packaging, including any similarities, is not accepted:
- Expanded polyester
- Plastic bags
- Refuse bags
- Diving bags
- Packing case
- Cardboard boxes without plastic coating
Widerøe have no economical response for any loss/delay with regard for perishable food. Perishable food shall be packed as described above
Children (below 2 years of age) are always allowed to bring a pram as checked baggage, free of charge. If the child is above 2 years, the pram is considered one piece of baggage. Check in your pram with your other baggage and drop it off at the counter labelled special baggage. The pram must be collapsible/foldable and no other items may be sent with the pram. Maximum weight 23 kilo. You do not need to register the pram in your booking.
The pram should be packed to avoid damage to itself or other baggage in the loading compartment.
Our liability, along with all airlines, is limited in accordance with the Montreal Convention when it comes to baggage. If the stroller is not correctly packed our liability is limited.
PramPack can be purchased at several airports in Norway and in several stores that sell equipment for children. For more information; www.prampack.no. Airshells can be rented at Oslo Airport, Gardermoen. For more information, see www.airshells.com.
Child car seat
If you want to bring the child car seat onboard, book a child ticket for your child. More info available through Traveling with children.
Child car seats are unsuitable for carriage in the cargo hold, even if its wrapped. A small dent or shock will suffice for the child car seat not to be considered safe for traffic. If you choose to send a child car seat as checked baggage, our liability is limited.
Musical instruments exceeding maximum hand luggage measurements (55cmx40cmx20cm) has to be sent as checked baggage and be packed in a hard case suited for transport.
Instruments exceeding standard sizes for checked baggage is eligible for an excess, see prices and baggage allowance above.
You are also allowed to bring the instrument onboard if you book an extra sat and the instrument is maximum 75 kilos. You need to be able to strap the seat belt around the instrument and it can't be higher than the seatback.
We accept one bag containing one cylinder of compressed gas per person as either hand luggage or checked baggage. Please add a comment under "special needs" when you book the ticket.
The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves.
We will however not accept these packs as freight, as they are considered dangerous goods.
Hunting and sporting weapons are allowed special baggage. Precautions when travelling with hunting and sporting weapons:
- The firearm/ammunition should be decleared for inspection when checking in, and unloaded.
- The bolt/fire mechanism shall always be removed from the firearm and transported separately (if possible the firearm should be dismantled)
- The ammunition shall always be transported separately.
- The total weight of ammunition (including shell) must not exceed the allowance of 5 kg (11lbs) per passenger and must be securely boxed in original packaging (prevents movement between shells or cartridges - loose ammunition is not permitted). Sharing weight allowance between passengers is not possible. Ammunition and weapons must not be mixed in the same baggage piece
- Weapons may not be included in the free baggage allowance - see price here
NB! A request must be made whenever a passenger is travelling with weapons and/or firearms, on WF operating flights. Not on codeshare. Weapons of war and munitions of war are not allowed on WF passenger aircraft, unless an authorization is received from Wideroe airline. For military staff and police staff special rules apply.
Weapons to/from UK
If you bring firearms to the UK it is required that you possess a valid UK visitors permit. It is important to apply for a visitors permit as early as possilble as the application process with the police can take sevral weeks. The UK police will enforce this effectively from the 1st April 2019 and passengers without permits or incorrect permits at import or export will have their firearms seized and a payment of a penalty for restorarion when leaving UK.