– The Finnmark Plateau is open and vast, and offers fantastic terrain for passionate mountain bikers, explains Trygve Nygård of Glød Explorer in Alta.
The choice of routes in Alta is broad and varied, ranging from family-friendly tours to intricate and demanding routes for more experienced riders. You can either ride on your own or as part of an organized tour for a few hours, the whole day or a few days.
– Some of our guests stay in Alta and do day tours, others join a longer road trip on the plateau. I can’t promise neither sun nor hot summer days, but you’ll come back a changed mountain biker – that is a guarantee!
With Fly and Bike, your bike is waiting for you when you land so your trip can start straight away.
OVER 6000 FIGURES: The petroglyphs in Alta is actually the largest collection in Northern Europe.
Peter B. Straumann/Nordnorge.com
ANCIENT ART: This reindeer was carved in stone thousands of years ago.
REINDEER OF TODAY: Want to see live reindeer? You can in Finnmark!
CULTURAL VISIT: Visit the sami people and learn about their culture and history.
COOL DOWN: The water you come across is guaranteed cold enough to cool you down...
NATURE: In Finnmark there are vast areas of untouched nature.
– A tour and a half!
Trygve Nygård stresses that the tours are not just for hard core bike enthusiasts.
– For an active family, I would recommend joining us on the plateau and cycling down to Altadalen. Along the way you'll enjoy the gorgeous view across the fjord and a splendid bonfire lunch. The final part of the route follows the old postal road from Karasjok and is very enjoyable. It’s a tour and a half! Or do it at night and cycle straight into the midnight sun, says Nygård.
You can even combine cycling with other activities in Alta. How about a midsummer skiing trip?
Out on the plateau
Road trips on the plateau with overnight stops are suitable for those who enjoy mountain biking or who like keeping fit by cross-country skiing, running or other forms of fitness exercise. The cycling itself isn’t necessarily that demanding, but you’ll have to expect to get tired – and enduring it.
– We need to reach our overnight stops, and you’re on the Finnmark Plateau, which implies that you’re on a bit of an expedition! But once we reach our stops – either a campsite in the wilderness or a cabin – there will be good food, a sauna and a bed waiting for you. It’s a carefree life on the Finnmark Plateau, and you risk getting hooked. You’ll want to come back! says the passionate tour guide.
The fatbike has turned Alta into a year-round destination for off-road cycling. Fat bikes are normal bikes with unbelievably thick tires – hence the name. The huge tires allow you to cycle in snow during winter, and in Alta you can choose from either ski trails prepared for dog sled racing or separate cross-country trails for fat bikes.
– Fat bikes open up fantastic opportunities for cycling in winter. You can experience nature in a different way in the evenings, especially when the Northern Lights are dancing across the sky, Nygård enthuses.
Fly and Bike gives you the opportunity to experience some of Norway’s most impressive walking and nature areas that are also suitable for cycling holidays.
Cycling in Hammerfest - you're on top of the world!
Nestled between mountains and fjords, you’ll experience a rich vegetation as well as saying hello to Rudolph along the way. Welcome to Hammerfest in Finnmark!
Norway travel guide - 11 beautiful experiences
Norway has it all. Stunning nature, curious wildlife, exciting cities and a strong sense of culture. So how do you choose what to see? Our handpicked travel tips will help you decide.
Cycling in Norway: Bike through amazing scenery
The varied landscapes of Norway are perfect to experience on two wheels.
Deep-sea fishing on Sørøya
Do you dream of landing big fish weighing 20, 30, perhaps even 40 kilos? Then come to Sørøya!
Ready for summer adventures in Northern Norway?
What kind of photos will you post on Instagram this summer? A portrait of a king crab, being suitably dressed on a whale safari, and a mountain hike under the midnight sun.